Saturday, August 7, 2010

Summer Fest 2010

This weekend is a big one in Seattle. It's Seafair weekend and for a couple of weeks now there have been festivities all over town.  Summer Fest is Magnolia's weekend of Seafair fun.  After Robert got home from work on Friday we walked down to the village to check it out.
First up, pony rides.  I was pleasantly surprised that nobody got scared. 


Yes, there are more pictures of Beau riding the horses. Why? He is a willing subject. I really can't believe he was that happy riding a pony for the first time at just 18 months. 
Lainey came off of this giant slide not totally happy my guess is she would do just fine if she went down it again.  Maybe if the rains lets up we'll head down there today. 
Not sure who got more freaked out by the ride.  Immediately when they hit the bottom, Beau looked up at Daddy as if to say, "Why did you lift my legs up so high? I couldn't see a thing!"
Uh oh, somebody spotted the train!
And off they go. Lainey was excited to ride the train contrary to her expression here.

Saturday morning was the parade. There's a kids parade followed by the "real" parade, complete with clowns, drill teams, and the Seafair Pirates.  Lainey scored a bag of popcorn and went at it while waiting for the parade to start.  Just what you want your kid to eat at 10am huh?

Balloons! 

No idea who this little girl is but I thought she was just the cutest in her pink shoes, and sequined and pink outfit riding a toy Harley.  You just know she's a spitfire!

Little man just scored himself a piece of candy.

No parade is complete without a marching band

Or pirates
I was hoping for Johnny Depp but we got this guy instead. 
What a fun gig!
Captivated

One happy boy with his Daddy
One happy Daddy with his boy.


Someone compared Magnolia to Mayberry recently and I think it fits.  It really does feel like a small town.  I remember growing up in small towns and going to parades much like this one.  We loved being able to walk down there on Friday and to the parade on Saturday.  It's the lifestyle we want for the kids and us.  While in line at the drugstore one day, I was talking to the checkout clerk and mentioned that I needed a fan for Beau's room but wanted one that oscillates.  Completely unprompted, she picked up the phone and called the hardware store down the street.  The line was busy and when she hung up she apologized to me for not being able to help me! Where in the world can you get that kind of service anymore?  We haven't met a ton of people here yet but so far, everyone has been extremely welcoming and friendly.  We love the neighborhood and look forward to the day when Lainey and Beau run into their friends at Summer Fest and run off to the rides.

Oh, and eleven years ago today, I married a great guy. I wish I could say I knew then what a fabulous father and wonderful partner he would be but he continues to surprise me even after all this time.  Happy Anniversary! 

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Like!

Trinity said...

I'm just getting to these pics... OMGoodness, they are GREAT Nic. I love the one of Bob kissing Beau, wow, what a beautiful picture of father and son.
A little history... I ran this race for 12 years straight! Then, I went to UW, studied, worked, met you (yeah!) and only did the run about 3 other times ;(
I want to do it again, especially if L and B will give me 5's!!