Thursday, December 31, 2009

Reflections and Resolutions



I don't normally make New Year's Resolutions but this year I decided I would.  A good friend of mine said she has a word for the year.  I'm going to borrow her idea and make my word for next year:


nour•ish


Pronunciation: (nûr'ish, nur'-)
v.t.
1. to sustain with food or nutriment; supply with what is necessary for life, health, and growth.
2. to cherish, foster, keep alive, etc.: He had long nourished the dream of living abroad.
3. to strengthen, build up, or promote: to nourish discontent among the workers; to nourish the arts in one's community.


I'm going with #3 in case you're wondering.  There are a number of areas of my life I plan to utilize that word.

As Mom: I need to nourish my knowledge in child development and parenting issues.   The process of potty training threw me off as I discovered, at least in Lainey's case, that  could read all the theories on potty training I wanted and they were not going to help. I had to trust my gut and find her "currency."  Now it's back to reality. I have a stack of parenting books that I hope and plan to read, well before the end of 2010.  My ultimate goal isn't to just read the books but to become a better, more patient parent in the process.  I used to be fairly well read on child development but once Beau arrived, life got four times as busy and I've let myself get lazy in this regard.

As a wife:  Robert and I managed to take a couple of trips, minus the kids this year.  Time alone with each other was very infrequent and I hope to make date night a more regular occurrence in 2010 so we can nourish our relationship.  Although...I'll trade a few date nights for a trip to Hawaii without the kids any day!

As a friend: I have quite a few friends I have not seen or made time for in quite some time. I really need my friends and enjoy being around other people.  Once you have kids it's hard to make time for your friends but I love and miss getting together with my girlfriends and know it's something I need in my life.

As a woman:  I have also not done well in the "self care" department.  I need to take more time for myself and do things that make me happy.  I realized this when I was making Christmas gifts and cards. The rush I got from crafting felt great and really nourished my soul.

As one of God's children:  I have not been to church in quite some time and one of our family goal's to change that.  But going to church does not make your relationship with God.  I need to nourish that relationship and all the other stuff will fall into place.

2009 was a bad year for a lot of people. Fortunately, we had a good year.  A great year in a lot of respects.  We are very very blessed.  2009 brought us Beau, the sweetest, happiest little guy I've ever met.  He stole my heart the minute he entered this world and after a rocky first couple of months, it has been smooth sailing ever since.  He makes me laugh 100 times every day.   It was another year of baby "firsts," most of which were the exact opposite of how his sister did things, but we had a lot of experiences that were firsts for us as a complete family.  Watching Lainey change from a baby to a little girl has been amazing, exhausting and rewarding.  To see her personality coming to life, her sense of humor emerging and hearing that sweet voice say, "Mommy" make my days complete.   The two of them are my life. I can't imagine my life without them. Hmmmm, well maybe I can imagine it:  calm, quiet, clean, but empty.  Being a mother is a hard job but one that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Happy New Year to you and I pray you have a happy, healthy, blessed 2010.

Nicole







No comments: