Wednesday, June 10, 2009

If a picture tells a thousand words....

what does a 1000 pictures do?

At the last minute I bought an extra memory card for my DSLR. I'm so glad I did as I filled a 2 gb card in less than 2 days! After downloading three memory cards, I realized I took over 1000 pictures in 6 days. A little crazy I know. Ok, maybe more than a little crazy but I love taking pictures. Many, if not most, are bracketed photos of sunsets and beach scenes and won't get printed. My goal for the trip was to discover as many beaches on the island as possible. We stayed up at the North Shore and spent most of our time up there with the exception of two days at the southern end of the island at Waikiki when the weather at the North Shore was cloudy and rainy. I haven't tallied it up yet but I'm guessing we visited at least 10 different beaches. We had planned on touring the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor but were too lazy to get up early enough to make the drive and waiting in line for 3 hours in the nice warm sunshine just wasn't appealing. We did manage to visit the Dole Plantation and learned how to pick a good pineapple and enjoyed some yummy Dole Whip ice cream. Other than that, we took our convertible out in the morning, found a beach that looked good, got some sun, grabbed lunch somewhere (the Kuhuku shrimp trucks were my fave), headed back to the hotel to clean up and then looked for good places to watch and photograph sunset. It's amazing how tired we were at the end of the day from doing really nothing!

Since I have a ton of photos to go through, I'll start with sunset pics. These are some of my favorites along with one at sunrise. The resort we stayed at is unique in that you can see both sunrise and sunset over the water. The one morning I did get up and motivated to catch sunrise, it was pretty cloudy. The other morning I just missed the sunrise by about 5-10 minutes.

Sunrise
This wasn't a fabulous sunset but once I saw this tree after a long trek up the beach, I was
determined to get a photo of it at sunset.

Sunset Beach

Waimea Bay

Waimea Bay again (yes, that is Robert. He loved jumping off that rock.)
Turtle Bay Sunset Beach

Waimea Bay yet again

Kuilima Cove


Sharks Cove (no sharks but tons of fish)
From the balcony of our room

1 comment:

Mary Liz said...

Wonderful photos, I am ready for the other 980. With out wings Robert??? That is a great shot. Waiting in ND. GML