Friday, January 27, 2012

Three Years Ago Tomorrow


Baby Boy,

I really shouldn't start this letter with the words "baby boy" but you should know by now, from my regular reminders, that you will always be my baby boy.  The last few days I've been remembering the days leading up to your birth.  Getting your room painted, picking out your crib, Daddy, Grandpa and Lainey putting the crib together, hanging pictures of your family for you to see.  I was ready to meet you!  The call from Jennifer on the morning of January 27th, telling me she was heading to the hospital after having contractions the night before.  Me calling Daddy telling we needed to get on the road NOW and worrying I wouldn't make it to Spokane in time to witness you entering the world.  Everybody was scrambling that day. Grammy and Grandpa raced up to our house to babysit Lainey, Daddy raced home from work so we could get on the road as soon as possible, and I ran around our house, packing a bag of stuff for you: clothes, blankets, my camera of course, and anything else I could think of for our stay in eastern Washington.  I think I packed 16 outfits and four blankets.  I remember that I packed a lot of outfits and thinking that was too many but every single one of them came in handy!

When we finally did get on the road, Daddy and I couldn't wait to get there.  The drive from Seattle to Spokane is a long one, about 5 hours or so.  Considering it was the middle of winter, a winter that Spokane got a record amount of snow I might add, it was nothing short of amazing that we got there in just over 4 hours. To say Daddy was speeding, is an understatement.  I brought our dvd player and a couple of movies but couldn't concentrate on them and instead, talked about you to Daddy.  I wondered what you would look like, how much you'd weigh, if you'd have any hair, and really, what in the world was I going to do with a baby BOY?!

Just a few minutes outside of Spokane, Jennifer called us to tell us the hospital was sending her home.  You were not ready to be born yet!  One one hand, I was so thankful I would be able to be there the second you were born, on the other, Daddy and I had to find a hotel to stay in while we waited for you!  We checked into the Davenport and Jennifer and a friend stayed in a room there too. We went out for hamburgers and milkshakes (your favorite right now!) and talked about you and what we were going to do the next day: wait for you to arrive.

We checked into the hospital, per their instructions (Mommy always follows instructions!) at 8am on Wednesday, January 28th.  And we waited. And waited. And waited! Daddy and I left to take naps. We came back and waited. We left to get some fresh air and for Daddy to catch up on some work emails, and we came back and waited.  We left to have some dinner. Came back and waited some more.  All day long, people called us asking if you had arrived yet.  Finally, at 8:30pm, as I was typing a text message to Mrs. Amy, Daddy nudged me and said, "There he is."  I looked up, saw just the top of your little head, and fell in love and started crying.

The nurse had me sit in a certain spot in the room, wearing a hospital gown. She told me exactly what to do.  She placed you in a bassinet and showed me how to the cut your umbilical cord.  Most moms don't get to cut the umbilical cord and I felt SO special to be able to do that!  Then she put you in my arms.  I was the very first person to hold you!!  You were covered in thick white gunk, the nurse explained that it was because you were probably a little early.   You squeaked while I held you and earned your first nickname: Squeakers.  After awhile, I let Daddy hold you, and Jennifer and everybody else that was there.  I called Aunt Nan, Grammy and Grandpa, Grandma Mary Liz and Grandpa Davis and everyone else I could think and told them all the great news: you were here at last and that you were so tiny and beautiful!

The day after you were born, a photographer took the first photos of you, Daddy and I. I wrote about that  here.  On Saturday, January 31st, we brought you home.  Lainey didn't know what to think of you when we introduced her to you. She just smiled when she held you and wanted to help feed you and was always good at helping keep your pacifier in your mouth.

I compiled a little list of things about you at three:

Favorite Breakfast: yogurt or whatever Daddy is having
Favorite Lunch: Chicken nuggets (preferably Dino Nuggets)
Favorite Dinner: Chicken nuggets
Favorite Snack: Baby food pouches
Morning or evening person: You are most definitely a morning person. You announce from your bed that it is "morning time" and that you are ready to wake up. And you repeat it over and over and over until someone comes and gets you out of your bed.

Favorite Sport: Baseball but your answer changes daily.
What do you want to be when you grow up: Superman
Favorite ice cream: vanilla.  But you get ice cream headaches very easily and therefore, aren't that much of a fan.
Favorite toy: Whatever ball you can find. Or a balloon.
Favorite type of weather: Rainbows. Definitely not sunshine.
Hugs or kisses?: You are stingy with both.  Unless I tell you that I don't want any kisses or hugs. Then you can't stop giving them to me.  :)

Favorite Game: On my phone you like to play Angry Birds and the Monkey Game. Otherwise, you love climbing and jumping as far as you can, balloons and anything that involves a ball.
Favorite Book:  The Great Monster Hunt and Three Goats Gruff and a Grumpy Troll. You cover your ears whenever we read the Troll's part though.

Favorite Movie:  Cinderella, Finding Nemo and Peter Pan
Favorite TV Show: Go Diego Go, Dora and Super Why
Best Friend: Bunnz
Favorite Foods:  Chicken nuggets, baby food pouches, fishy crackers, yogurt and pretty much any fruit
Least favorite:  You're not much of a meat eater and unlike your sister, you don't care for sushi
Favorite color: Red
Favorite Animal: Bunnies
Favorite Superhero: Superman
Favorite Song: Band on the Run and Moves Like Jagger.
Extrovert or Introvert?:  Definitely an EXTROVERT!  One of the most profound memories solidifying this trait was when we drove to Lake Chelan last summer and you talked non-stop the entire way there (4 hrs) and the way back...non of us will ever forget that ;)  And of course there is the constant charming of everyone you meet, especially if they are a girl...good grief :)

Favorite thing Mommy says that makes you laugh: Baby baby baby in a silly voice
Every night at bedtime I say: Love you always always always and you say, "Always always my pumpkin patch."  And I'll say, "I love you little, love you big, love you like....." and you say, "a little pig."

Happy Birthday Beau Man (your favorite nickname).  I can't wait to see what the next year brings!

Love you always always always,

Mommy

No comments: